Dealing with pests in your home can be utterly sickening. If your neighborhood is prone to problems with a certain type of insect or rodent, you know just how frustrating it can be to protect your domain. If you don’t find an effective way to eliminate pests, you could be constantly cleaning up messes and even putting your health at risk. If you have young children or an elderly person in the home, you don’t want to take any chances. If you’re not sure where to get started, here are 5 effective pest control tips for homeowners.
- Plant garlic bushes around your house. One of the best ways to eliminate pests in the home is to plant garlic. Garlic has an odor that is extremely offensive to a lot of insects and rodents, so it will keep pests from invading your property. You can also pick the garlic when it’s ready for harvesting, and save it for cooking.
- Keep all food in your pantry tightly packaged. Make sure that you keep all kinds of rubber bands, bag clips, and plastic zippy bags on hand in your kitchen at all times. Whenever you pull a box of cereal or a bag of chips out to snack on, you want to make sure that the packaging is closed tightly and put away immediately. One of the easiest ways to attract pests is by leaving food out in the open for them to smell and feast on.
- Be sure to clean up immediately after meals. In addition to tightly closing up all of your packaged foods, you want to be sure that you wash the dishes and put all of your food back into the refrigerator or pantry immediately. If you don’t, you could easily attract all kinds of pests, from ants to roaches to mice. If you have raccoons to contend with, be sure to close your outdoor trash cans tightly when you take out the trash so that they don’t scatter garbage all over your yard.
- Burn citronella candles. If you have a problem with mosquitoes or other small insects, you should definitely get yourself some citronella candles. Citronella has a lovely lemony scent that is very agreeable to most people yet extremely offensive to most insects. How perfect is that? If you are trying to have a nice barbecue in the backyard, be sure to burn some citronella, and you won’t have any mosquitoes to worry about.
- Install screens on all of your windows and doors. If you don’t already have screens on all of your windows and doors, then you definitely want to get that taken care of right away. This is because you want to be able to open your windows and doors for fresh air and a nice cross breeze, but you don’t want to invite bugs and vermin into your home. You can still put locks on most screen doors, so you can get that fresh air without inviting strangers in the house.