When landscaping your outdoor space, you may want to add a paved area where you can place tables, chairs and other elements. A paved patio can also create a nice delineation between your garden and your home. When you are designing your paved patio, you want to put some careful consideration into the aesthetics and the look and feel of your patio. A paved patio can easily go from bad to worse if you aren’t sure what you are doing. When it comes down to it, a paved patio needs to be consistent with your home and it needs to have a professional look. Here are five helpful paver patio design tips for homeowners.
- Be sure to stick to a look and feel that matches your home. When you are laying stone, you want to be sure that you go for a look and feel that matches your home, or else your patio won’t look consistent. This means that the color, texture and style should all be within the theme of your home’s style, texture and color scheme.
- Use similar shaped stones. On top of having a theme that is consistent with the look and feel of your home, you also want to use similar shaped stones. The last thing you want is to not have a unified shape throughout your patio. If you have multiple different shapes in your stone patio, the design will look confused and all over the place. For instance, if you are going for round stones, you want to stick to a round stone theme – you don’t want some stones to be square, because they will really stand out.
- Include a trim stone in your patio design. On top of choosing a main stone, you also want to choose a trim stone as well. Your trim stone will give your patio a more finished and professional look. Also, the eye will want to have something capping off the patio – it will look disjointed and unfinished if you don’t have a trim stone. For your trim stone, you want to go for a similar shape and color, but it doesn’t need to be the same size – it can be longer or shorter.
- Don’t go for faux stones. It is also important to go with real stone when you are designing your patio. Faux stone can often look cheap and unprofessional looking. You can usually find patio stones by searching “install patio pavers” online. You will usually find sources, like Teton Stone, that have a wide selection of stone to choose from. You can also request samples to get a sense for how a certain style fits in your home’s landscape design.
- Create pathways using the same stone. On top of creating a patio, you will most likely be creating pathways as well. If this is the case, you want to use the same stone style for the pathways for a more unified look. In the end, consistency is the key when you are designing your patio.