Packing for a move can be a major challenge. You have to think about boxing your belongings, you have to think about throwing things out, and your have to think about protecting your valuables. During a move, anything can happen – items can get lost, broken, or they can get stolen. To avoid these unpleasant scenarios, you want to make sure that you organize your move. Moreover, you want to pack efficiently. Packing smart will ensure that you get to your new home with all your belongings in one piece. Everyone knows how heartbreaking it can be to deal with broken or lost belongings, especially if those items had sentimental value. Here is how to pack for a move in five easy steps.
- Start organizing. It is important that you start organizing. Keeping all of your items organized will make the boxing process a lot easier. Plus, it will help you decide which items to toss and which items to keep. All around, you want to organize and separate all of your belongings according to categories.
- Start tossing items away. After you organize, there is a good chance that you have a pile of items that you don’t need anymore. These items can include furniture, clothing and more. Ideally, you want to take these items to a local Goodwill or Salvation Army. When you do this, not only are you helping the needy – you are also getting a handsome tax deduction. Before you get rid of items, you want to make sure that everyone in your family is okay with it – you don’t want to build up any resentment.
- Start marking boxes. After you have everything organized, and after you have thinned things down to only the items you want to keep, you want to start boxing and marking boxes. It is important that you use the right sized boxes – otherwise items could get damaged. Moreover, you want to put the name of the room that boxes will go in – otherwise it will be a big mystery as to where everything goes. If you want your move to be efficient, you want to get out a sharpie and start marking.
- Start looking for a mover. It is also important to find a reputable moving company, like North Dallas Moving and Storage. Not only can they help move some of your items, they can also help put some of your belongings in storage. There may be some items that you want to keep, but don’t exactly have the room for in your new home. Plus, hiring a mover will take away the stress of having to move all the items yourself.
- Start protecting valuables. When it comes down to it, you also want to protect your valuables by packing them separately in secured boxes – with plenty of packing peanuts and bubble wrap. There is a good chance that you have some valuables that you don’t want banging around the inside of a truck. In the end, packing these items separately and keeping them with you during the move will save any unnecessary heartbreak.