A big move is an exciting new step and a brand new chapter in your life. The excitement and stress can often making moving a difficult process. luckily, some simple tips and tricks can help you eliminate disorder, improve efficiency, reduce stress and simplify the moving process. Here are 5 ways to make packing easier when you move.
- First, be sure to pack items logically. Pack items that will be in the same room. For example, make sure all bedding and bedroom items are together and all kitchen items are packed in the same boxes too. This will make it easier when you unpack since each box can be brought to its designated room right away. Also, you won’t have to run from room to room unpacking. The best way to keep track of this is to label boxes with colored sticker. Yellow can be the indicator that the box belongs in the garage and blue can be the color for bathroom items. This will simplify the process tremendously for all involved in the packing and unpacking process.
- Keep track of what you box up. Too many people end up shoving items into boxes without any method to their madness. This many seem simpler and quicker, but it can actually cause more stress and take more time in the long run. Without a plan, items can easily go missing. Instead, keep a list of every item that you pack into each box and adhere it to the outside. This will help you track things down when you move and will also help you account for each and every possession you pack up, so things don’t get lost or even stolen!
- Pack a ‘right away” box for each family member. This box should consist of things that each person will need immediately upon moving. These boxes help to reduce confusion and disorganization. Everyone should pack their essentials like toiletries, a few times of clothing, a towel, sheets, cell phone chargers, night lights and more. This is convenient and accessible for everyone and will ensure that there is no urgent rush to unpack and find things so you can take your time and unpack the right way.
- Use luggage to help you pack! While boxes are useful for most items, using your suitcases can also come in handy. You will need to bring them with you anyways, so you may as well utilize them for their space. Load up light things like paper towels, linens, toiletries and household cleaners so that you can easily access them once you arrive at your new place.
- Keep valuables with you at all times. When you use movers, you may want to just have them deal with all of your boxes, but it is important to be cautious with really valuable possessions. Keep things like expensive jewelry, heirlooms, antiques, paperwork, ID’s and more on your person at all times. When moving, transport this stuff in your car to be sure it is in safe hands. While town to town movers are often reliable and trustworthy, some things are just not worth taking a chance with.
Instead of making packing a frustrating, stressful chore, use these helpful, tried and true tips to make the process simpler, easier and less stressful. Keep valuables with you all the time, utilize luggage for packing, pack “right away” boxes for each family member, make lists, and use color coding. Implementing these methods will save you time, energy, and frustration so that you can have a smooth transition into your new home and the next chapter in your family’s life.